Problems? Help is often a call, email, or app click away.

We’ve put together this handy list of who to reach out to for help with animals, odors, rental conditions, street lights, and much more.

If you are not receiving support from these city resources or responses to your requests, please let the Sherman Hill Board know by emailing us at

Animal control

To report a concern about an animal or a problem with an animal in Des Moines, call (515) 283-4811 or, if it is an emergency call 911.

Crime in progress

Call 911.

Ongoing crime-related issues or concerns

In addition to calling the police directly, you’re encouraged to reach out to our neighborhood officer, Officer Michael Moody.

Your information could help them adjust patrols, prioritize areas with ongoing issues, and solve crimes.


To complain about a smell, call the odor hotline at (515) 248-ODOR (515 248-6367). If the city gets 10 complaints of the same smell in six hours, they will investigate the source and pursue solutions.

Rental and landlord complaints

From the city’s website:

“If you wish to make a complaint, please complete the a Notice of Complaint form and return by email, fax or in person.

Once received, we will mail your complaint the following business day to your landlord letting them know they have 10 calendar days to make the requested repairs.”

Sherman Hill Association membership

Help shape the future of your favorite neighborhood! Your annual SHA Membership includes voting rights at our quarterly neighborhood meetings, plus access to special events, discounts, and resources.

Your support also helps us fund neighborhood projects and programming – like this email you’re reading. Membership info is here.

Street lights

Sherman Hill manages its own network of historic street lights. If a light is out, damaged, or in need of repair, we want to know. Please contact  

Pretty much everything else…

The “myDSMmobile” app allows you to quickly create “support tickets” with the city for a variety of needs. You’ll receive status updates on requests, and notifications when they’ve been resolved.

Service request categories include:

  • Alleway Repair
  • Graffiti
  • Inoperable Vehicle
  • Mosquito Control
  • Pothole
  • Request a Street Sweeper
  • Sewer / Storm Water Problems
  • Tall Grass / Weeds
  • Trash