October 31, 2024
6:30 pm - 8:30 pm
This is a recurring event
Repeating every year
Halloween on the Hill (HOTH) returns as Des Moines’s premier Halloween night event – October 31 from 6:30-8:30 pm. Residents of the historic Sherman Hill neighborhood will be going all out to decorate their homes with spooky scenes while collecting donations for the Des Moines Area Religious Council (DMARC) Food Pantry.
This neighborhood haunted house is a great family event for all ages and a fun way to support those in need in our community. Visitors can expect to see lots of creatures, Imperial storm troopers, Medieval knights, zombie spiders, Freddy Kruger roaming the streets, a full-size pirate ship, live performances of Thriller, and much more.
The event is free, but attendees are asked to bring contributions of non-perishable food, other needed items, or donations to support the DMARC pantry. In September, DMARC assisted over 19,000 individuals, a 73% increase over last September and a new record for the month. Visit the DMARC website for a list of the most needed food items:
When you drop off your donation, you will be given a map and information to guide you to the spookiest displays. There will be 2 collection points during the event:
- Hoyt Sherman Place (1501 Woodland Ave.)
- 15th St. & Center St. (UnityPoint parking lot)
You can also donate before, after, or during the event here:
Halloween on the Hill could not happen without volunteers. Sign up here to join the action:
This event is all trick, no treats! However, hot chocolate and other items will be for sale with proceeds going to the Beacon of Life a nonprofit which empowers women in crisis.
Multiple streets in Sherman Hill will be closed to all vehicle traffic during the event. Visitors are encouraged to carpool and should park at the designated parking lots and parking garage at UnityPoint. Signs will direct traffic to lots within one block of the event.
Facebook event for live updates: https://www.facebook.com/events/599237188877973
2022 event :
- 7,641 food items collected at the event.
- Estimated 6000+ in attendance
$8,809 raised for DMARC which includes:
- $3,500 from Lua Brewing – HOTH BROTH sales
- $1,593 collected at the event
- $1,110 collected online
- $1,000 from Big Grove Brewery – Sherman Hill champagne sales
- $745 from Principal Financial Group employees
- $861 from net proceeds after expenses to the Sherman Hill Association
- The Beacon also raised over $1,108 through the sale of baked goods and cider.
- $5 = 6 healthy meals for 1 person
- $10 = 3-day supply (9 healthy meals) for one person living with food insecurity
- $25 = Provides one jar of peanut butter for 23 households
- $50 = 5-month supply of cereal for a household of four
- $100 = 108 meals for one person experiencing food insecurity
Unity Point Health | Hoyt Sherman Place
Hoyt Sherman Place
1501 Woodland Ave
Des Moines, IA 50309
- October 31, 2024
- October 31, 2025